Laura Stokoe, CNP and Healthy Living Advisor leader here at Goodness Me!, shares with us her top 10 tummy tamers—and they are easy enough to start doing today. And don't forget to sign up for our email newsletter here for more health tips!
1. Drink water! Water delivers nutrients to your cells and carries away wastes. When this function is sluggish, it can be difficult to lose weight.
2. Focus on complex carbohydrates (vegetables, fruits, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds). Complex carbs contain much needed fibre and they are nutrient dense. They will nourish your body and keep you satisfied for longer. Their ability to stabilize blood sugar levels helps to prevent cravings and leads to less fat storage. Avoid simple, refined carbs such as white bread, white pasta, white rice, and other over-processed foods.
3. Eat fat! Healthy omega-3 and -6 oils are found in fish oils (omega-3) as well as many nuts and seeds in their oils. Coconut oil is a good saturated fat that contains “medium-chain triglycerides” which encourages fat burning. Avoid all trans fats, which encourage fat deposition. These can be found in most junk foods.
4. Reduce or eliminate sugar. It causes an insulin spike in the body, which leads to fat storage.
5. Avoid stimulants such as coffee, alcohol, and sugar. They spike adrenaline for “energy”. When that runs out, the body craves more stimulants to get it going again (morning coffee anyone?).
6. Cleansing the body regularly can help to get rid of that bloated look.
7. Stress causes excess cortisol to be released, which encourages abdominal fat storage. Relax, unwind and get plenty of sleep.
8. Excess estrogen in both women and men leads to abdominal fat storage; balance your hormones and watch your belly fat start to disappear.
10. Make time for exercise! Sit-ups and core-strengthening activities such as yoga, pilates, and dancing are all fantastic tummy tamers. And amazing stress relievers, too!
Follow these steps and you're on your way to ridding yourself of those pesky stomach aches. If you want even more information about this and other health issues you'll love our email newsletter. Sign up here!
Comments will be approved before showing up.