July 22, 2015 3 min read 1 Comment
We all want healthy, glowing skin--but it doesn't have to cost an arm and a leg! Check out these life changing 6 diet and lifestyle tips you can do (for free) every day to live beautifully!
Before we get into the tips and tools for healthier skin, just a word on personal and beauty care products... do you know what's in yours? Our so-called "beauty" products are often laden with harmful chemicals that can't possibly do our skin any good. In fact, they can do the opposite--burden your liver with toxins and mess with your hormones to create skin problems that might cause you to buy more products to cure, only to find those products have the same ingredients... see the nasty cycle? When choosing personal care and beauty products, there are a few ingredients that you should make sure are not on the ingredient lists. These include: p-phenylenediamine (a neurotoxin and immune toxicant); formaldehyde (carcinogen and respiratory irritant); octoxynol-40 (skin toxicant); fragrance (respiratory & skin irritant); phthalates (cause imbalances in the body); and parabens (skin irritant and may be a carcinogen).
Try choosing natural products instead, such as Andalou Naturals, Mineral Fusion, or Zorah. All of these brands are high quality with organic, natural ingredients, thoughtful practices, and no major irritants or chemicals. Check them out! Buying the right, clean products means that you will have more success with less products--saving you money in the end, and treating your skin with real nourishment.
Now, what can you do in your daily life to ensure you have healthy, glowing, youthful skin? Check out our top 6 tips for naturally radiant skin--that don't involve any beauty care products!
1. Get Your Healthy Fats. Essential fatty acids are great to help moisturize and plump up skin, making it look healthy and youthful. Where do you get your fatty acids? Nuts and seeds, high quality fish oil (check out Ascenta), Udo's Oil, avocados, olives and olive oil, coconut oil--all of these are amazing sources of healthy fats and will nourish your skin from the inside out.
2. Hydrate! This might seem like a silly one, but getting enough water will definitely impact your skin health. Think about how you feel when you're dehydrated or thirsty--your throat might feel dry, your mouth parched, your body sluggish, your stomach "hungry". All of these things happen to your skin, too, when you don't get enough water. Aim for 8-10 glasses a day to help your skin stay moist and youthful looking.
3. Detoxify Your Liver. When your liver is burdened with toxins and other substances, it affects many processed in your body--including the health of your skin. Lighten your liver's load by giving it a gentle detox, avoiding toxins and chemicals, drinking lots of lemon water, and avoiding things like alcohol and caffeine. Castor oil packs are also a great way to stimulate the liver's detoxification process. You'll be surprised what it will do for your skin! Learn more about how to detoxify daily with these 10 easy tips here.
4. Avoid Hot Showers! We're not saying that you need to take freezing cold showers, but hot water can dry out the skin and steal moisture from it. Avoid taking long, really hot baths and showers, and instead stick to shorter ones (if you love the hot water) or a warm shower instead.
5. Exercise. Exercise helps to increase blood flow, which nourishes skin and keeps cells vital. It also helps to flush out any cellular debris from the system, which benefits your skin as well. And don't forget that toning muscle benefits your skin elasticity and helps it look healthier. Plus, if you exercise outside in the summertime, you'll get a healthy dose of vitamin D from the sun--which is even better for the skin!
6. Say Goodbye to Food Allergies and Intolerances. Many food allergies manifest themselves in the form of rashes or bumps on the skin, but even food intolerances can cause things like acne, skin disturbances, or even puffiness of the skin. Some common intolerances that especially affect skin health include sugar, dairy, and wheat--but everyone is different. What foods might be affecting the health of your skin? Try these 6 tips and be amazed at how clear, beautiful, youthful, and fresh your skin looks!
Want to learn more about which products are the best for your skin? Check out this amazing blog for a great guide to clean beauty products!
Katie has worked in the natural health & wellness industry for over 10 years and is currently studying to become a Registered Holistic Nutritionist. She is passionate about eating #feelgood food and recognized that this might look different for each and every person. She truly believes that in a healthy lifestyle, you can have your cake and eat your kale, too! Follow her on Instagram @katielmitts
Comments will be approved before showing up.
March 07, 2023 3 min readRead More
February 14, 2023 2 min readRead More
February 14, 2023 6 min readRead More
February 06, 2019
Very informative article. It has motivated me to exercise regularly. I have implemented it in my daily routine. Felling more energetic and healthier.