Mixed Fall Harvest Pickled Veggies
- 10% Salt Brine:
- 1 gallon soft water
- 1 ½ cups sea salt
- 2 kg Mixed Vegetables:
- Organic cauliflower, cut into florets
- Organic sweet peppers, seeded, cut into slivers
- Organic carrots, peeled, cut into rounds
- Organic zucchini, tops removed, cut into
- Organic cucumbers, tops removed, cut into rounds
- Organic green beans, cleaned, tops removed
- Organic garlic cloves, peeled
- Vinegar Mix:
- 1 gallon apple cider vinegar (minimum
- 5% acetic acid)
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 cup water
- 6 tsp pickling spices
- Mix 1 gallon of water with the sea salt to make a 10% salt brine.
- Clean the vegetables well with cold water. Brine the vegetables in the salt brine for 12 hours. This removes excess moisture from the vegetables.
- Simmer jars in boiling water for 10 minutes with their lid caps.
- Bring the vinegar mix to a simmer (exclude spices), turn off heat and cover with a lid.
- Remove the vegetables from the salt brine, rinse briefly and pat dry. Immediately fill the jars with the vegetables, as full as possible, leaving a ¼ inch space at the top of the jar. Sprinkle the pickling spices into the jar with the vegetables.
- Pour the vinegar mix over the vegetables until the liquid comes to ¼ inch below the rim.
- Wipe the top of the jar rim with a very clean, wet rag, then put on the lids, finger tight.
- Lower the jars into the canning pot, making sure the jars are submerged. Simmer the jars for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Carefully remove from the water and allow to cool. Once cool, tighten the lids. The lids will start “popping” as the pickles cool, this is a sign that you have a good seal. If a seal has not popped on a jar, leave it in the fridge and enjoy within 4 weeks.