Chewy Chocolate Easter Nests
This recipe was created by our founder Janet Jacks and has been shared with many over the years.
Her book, Discover the Power of Food, has the most incredible dessert section with many sweet treats that are easy for you and your children to make. This treat is known as “Chewy Chocolate Balls “can be transformed into small little nests to share over Easter. This is a fun “No-Bake” treat for you and your kids to make and share over the Easter weekend.
No-bake? Yes, this one is for me to make with my family! This one is for all the chocolate lovers in the family! Easy to make with a fast prep time of 20 minutes, and refrigerate for one hour before serving. If you like to make ahead of time, they will last for one week in the fridge. Be careful they are so delicious you will not be able to resist them staring you in your face every time you open that fridge door. The change from the chewy chocolate ball to the chewy nest is a mini muffin tray.
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup brown sesame seeds
- ¼ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup ground chia seeds
- ½ cup shredded unsweetened coconut, divided
- ½ cup fair trade cocoa powder
- ½ cup almond butter
- ½ cup virgin coconut oil, softened
- 1/3 to ½ cup honey (if less honey is used balls are 5g net carbs; 7g net carbs for higher amount of honey)
- Place sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, hemp hearts, chia seeds, and cocoa powder in the bowl of a food processor. Process for about 20 seconds to grind everything
- Add in the almond butter, coconut oil, and honey. Process until mixture forms a ball and all the ingredients are blended well.
- Pour mixture into a bowl stir in the shredded coconut until combined.
- Form mixture into 1 inch balls and press the middle down to form a "nest".
- Fill the nests with candy of your choice! We used YumEarth Sour Jelly Beans! or try Yum Earth! Easter Giggles. For a healthier, sugar-free option, try macadamia nuts!
- Refrigerate for an hour before serving.
Tip = make smaller and yield is then 40- 50 balls with 2g or 2.5g net carbs each. Perfect for diabetics and keto diets alike.