Sautéed Chard with Navy Beans & Bacon
Beans are so good for us that any way we eat them our bodies sing. I love combining the smooth savory flavour of beans with the slightly bitter and green glory of swiss chard. I’ve added onions for sweetness, garlic ‘cause I love it, and bacon for some smoky saltiness.
- 2 tbsp Chosen Foods avocado oil
- ½ cup organic onion, diced
- 1 clove of organic garlic, chopped
- 100g or 3 to 4 strips duBreton side bacon,
- cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 398mL (14oz) can of drained
- white navy beans
- ½ tsp fine sea salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp organic thyme, chopped
- 1 tbsp organic Italian parsley, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup water
- 1 bunch organic swiss chard, stems removed
- and chopped, leaves rolled together, sliced
- In a pot over medium heat add the oil, onion, garlic, bacon, salt and pepper. Cook until the onion is soft and the bacon is cooked through.
- Add the chard stems since they take longer to cook than the leaves, and cook with a lid on until softened.
- At this point the mix can be held until ready to finish the same day or in the fridge for
- 2 or 3 days.
- To finish bring the mix up to heat with the ¼ cup of water. Add the chard and gently mix everything together. Cook with a lid on stirring occasionally until the leaves have wilted.
- Serve hot.
Yield: 2½ cups