Beer Can Chicken
Roast chicken, quite rightly, is one of our most beloved comfort foods. In the summer, to keep the heat out of the house, I make beer can chicken seasoned with our Goodness Me! BBQ Rub. (recipe below)
The Sober Carpenter dealcoholized beer is perfect to impart a lovely malty note as well as steam from the inside will the chicken roasts from the outside.
On a gas barbecue set have your burners on ½ and cook the chicken on the other side set up on a tray to catch the drippings.
- 1 humanely raised Blue Goose whole chicken
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup GM all-purpose BBQ rub (see recipe for the BBQ rub below)
- 1 can Sober Carpenter IPA
- Preheat BBQ to 350F.
- Pat down chicken with dry paper towel inside and out. Sprinkle 1 ½ tsp BBQ rub inside the chicken.
- Lightly oil the outside of the chicken all over, this helps the rub adhere to the skin. Generously sprinkle the remaining BBQ rub over the whole chicken.
- Open can of Sober Carpenter beer and drain off ¼ to ½ of contents then insert the can, open side up, into the chicken cavity.
- Place the raw beer chicken onto a cooling rack on top of a BBQ proof pan or baking sheet.
- Place the chicken set up into the BBQ and allow to cook, 350F for 1 to 1 ½ hours.
- Check the chicken after an hour with a meat thermometer, then every 15 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 164F.
- Remove from the BBQ. Carefully pull out the beer can and discard.
- Lay the chicken onto a plate or tray to rest, be sure there is enough space to catch juices as they release from the bird. Wrap in tinfoil to help keep the roast warm. Allow to rest 10 minutes then carve and enjoy.
Goodness Me! BBQ Rub
This is a great all-purpose spice rub for the barbecue. Use it for brisket, beef ribs, pork ribs, chicken wings, really anything you might slow cook on a barbecue. I added smoked paprika and chipotle for smokiness even if I’m cooking in the oven.
Keep in at room temperature in a sealed container that blocks light as the sugar and salt in the recipe will cause the rub to clump and light exposure reduces spice flavour if left out.
- 1/2 cups organic cane sugar
- 1/2 cups fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup paprika
- 1/4 cup smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp chipotle ground
- 1 tbsp cumin ground
- 1 tbsp coriander ground
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp black pepper ground
- 1 tbsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tbsp oregano
- ¼ cup dry mustard
- 1 tbsp turmeric ground
- Combine all in a mixing bowl and stir with a whisk until well combined. Store in a sealed container. Keeps at room temperature for 4 months.
- Yield: 2 ½ cups