Update from Our Goodness Me! Farmers!
Did you know we have our very own certified organic farm?
Located in Campbellville, Ontario, our farm is run by two brothers, David and Meiring Beyers. They take great pride in farming organically, especially since they have a history in conventional farming and understand the benefits--for them and for the plants--of farming organically. All of the produce grown on the farm is picked and shipped to our Goodness Me! locations, often same day, to offer you local, fresh, organic produce offerings at a great price. It's like farming in your own backyard!
We're going to start getting items from our farm soon. Our Produce Category Manager, Patrick Barclay, is going to be sending us farm reports so that we can keep track of exactly what and when things will land on our shelves and in your hands.
The first report for this year is below, with some images to accompany it. But first, do you know some of the reasons you should buy your produce organically? Check out our list of benefits below!
Organic produce has been a trend for a few years now. But is it really healthier? Let’s look at the facts.
- Organic produce gets chemicals off your plate. Conventional produce is treated with insecticides, herbicides, pesticides, and fungicides—up to 90% of which have been stated by the Environmental Protection Agency to be known carcinogens.*
- Choosing the Dirty Dozen (the top 12 most contaminated fruits and vegetables) organically will help to reduce your pesticide burden by up to 80%. The Environmental Working Group always puts out an annual list – check out their website to find out which 12 produce items you should buy organically.
- Organic protects farm workers—and future generations. Farmers on non-organic farms face up to six times the risk of disease due to the chemicals and pesticides they are exposed to daily. What are those chemicals doing to you, on your plate, in your produce items?
- Organic produce provides more minerals. We need minerals on a daily basis for so many things. For example, magnesium is a mineral that performs over 325 functions in the body. One of the key sources of magnesium is our nutrient-rich soil—or what used to be our nutrient-rich soil. Organic farming takes care of the soil, replenishes it with nutrients lost, and makes sure it is mineral rich—passing those minerals on to you through the produce grown on that soil. Non-organic farming does not take these careful measures, and the soil is often terribly nutrient-depleted.
- It’s better for the environment. It reduces pollution (air, water, and land), conserves water, reduces soil erosion, increases soil fertility, and uses less energy. Plus, it allows bees, insects, and other vital organisms to thrive without compromising the quality of your produce.
Those are the top five reasons why you should choose organic produce. There are many other reasons—for example, have you tasted an organic orange compared to a conventional one? No comparison!—but these are some of the most important.
Check out our wide selection of 100% certified organic produce at any Goodness Me! location. Take it home and taste it—we promise you won’t turn back!
Now, onto our farm update…