Vegan "Pulled Pork" With Jackfruit
Did you know that you can make a delicious pulled pork sandwich with absolutely no trace of pork? This great recipe uses jackfruit, a "meaty" tropical fruit from the Indian subcontinent that makes for a great vegan meat substitute. There's no reason not to enjoy the tangy deliciousness of this BBQ favourite, regardless of diet!
The secret to making this pulled pork a protein-rich meal is in the sauce!
For the BBQ sauce:
Rinse the jackfruit well, drain and set aside.
- In a large saucepan, bring the water to a boil before adding the stock cube and stir until well dissolved.
- Add the jackfruit, lower the heat and simmer until most of the water is absorbed (about 25 minutes).
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Gently crush the jackfruit pieces with a potato masher or the bottom of a soup ladle to achieve a “pulled pork” texture.
- Add the olive oil and stir until jackfruit is lightly coated.
- Spread on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes turning over once.
- Meanwhile, put all of the BBQ sauce ingredients in a saucepan and blend well.
- Bring the sauce to a quick boil and take away from heat.
- Remove the jackfruit from the oven, transfer to a large mixing bowl (or the large saucepan used previously) and add the sauce, stirring well.
- Return the jackfruit to the baking sheet and bake for another 10 minutes, turning over once.
You can enjoy this vegan pulled pork on bread or baked potato, or use it as a filling for tacos, burritos or patties.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.