We have 5 products that will make this Halloween special and delicious while still keeping your family on the healthy eating train. Check out these healthier treat alternatives!
Halloween is when all the little ghosts, ghouls and goblins come out—but it’s also a time when food monsters like refined sugar, gluten, artificial colours and flavours, and genetically modified ingredients rear their ugly heads. Trick-or-treating can be a fun time spent with your little ones and family, but have you wondered what’s in those treats you take home? Our FREE Halloween Guide has a list of ingredients to avoid, as well as some tips from Janet Jacks on how to have a healthier Halloween. Get it here for free!A good rule of thumb is to let your kids choose a few of their favourites, but also help them understand why some of the goodies might not be “good” after all.
To help your kids enjoy Halloween and get some treats but not send their blood sugars and mood swings soaring, have some healthy treats on hand that they can trade in their sugar-laden ones for. Here are 5 of our favourites!
1. Endangered Species Chocolate Bars: these are mini chocolate bars that come in milk or dark chocolate. With 24 bars in a bag, you get great value! They’re all natural, ethically traded, certified gluten free, vegan and kosher. They are Non-GMO Project Verified, and 10% of the proceeds are donated to help support species, habitat, and humanity. It’s a Halloween treat you can feel good about!
2. Xyla Lollipops: what kid doesn’t like lollipops?! Most contain food dyes, artificial colours and flavours, and refined sugar, but not Xyla Lollipops. These are healthier treats that are sweetened with xylitol. They’re sugar and aspartame free, and are flavoured with all natural lemon, lime, orange, or grapefruit flavours. In fact, these lollipops are actually proven to help prevent cavities, instead of cause them! Learn more about these healthy treats here.
3. Surf Sweets Gummies: these delicious candies come in gummy bears, gummy worms, and spooky spiders for Halloween. Made with organic fruit juice and organic sweeteners, Surf Sweets gummies contain 100% of your recommended vitamin C per serving. They have no artificial colours or flavours, no corn syrup, and are free of dairy, soy, gluten, and nuts. Your kids will love these for Halloween! Head into any Goodness Me! location to check them out.
4. Next Organics Chocolate Covered Fruit & Nuts: these are great for kids, but adults too! If you’re throwing a Halloween get together, you’ll definitely want some of these on hand. They are made with 70% cocoa that results in a smooth dark chocolate. Whether you’re a fan of chocolate covered nuts like almonds, brazil nuts, walnuts, or cashews, or want to try their chocolate covered fruit varieties that range from apricots, bananas and cherries to coconut and ginger, you’re in for a healthy treat with Next Organics!
5. Homemade Treats: try having some homemade treats waiting for the kids when they return from trick-or-treating! If you make their favourite, they’re bound to go for the healthier homemade version over the processed packaged treats. Best of all, when you make the treats at home, you can control the ingredients. How about Vegan and Nut Free Peanut Butter Cups, a recipe shared with us by nutritionist Jesse Lane? Or Everything Cookies, made with coconut sugar, almond flour, coconut, sunflower seeds, dried cranberriesand chocolate chipsfor a hint of sweetness. Our Sweet Almond Popcorn with Chocolate Drizzlewill have your kids forgetting about all other treats! Or check out our Halloween Guidefor 4 delicious kid-friendly recipes that they’ll want to help you make. No matter what you choose, make this Halloween a healthier one with the ideas above. Happy Halloween!